Government Sanctioned Torture

I am sick.  My lungs are full of crud, I have aches and pains, and I wish I was in a Nyquil induced coma right now.

I began to get sick Thursday, sore throat.  I started using over the counter remedies because Saturday I was scheduled to be at the Logan High track for a session of government sponsored torture, otherwise known as the wildland red-card pack test.

This is the physical fitness test required to be completed each year in order to have your red-card certification renewed.  What is red-card certification, you ask?  It's what an insane person seeks in order to be allowed to fight fires on federal lands, as a member of a Forest Service hot shot crew, or a BLM crew, or a wildland engine crew, or a local department who offers resources, etc.

Here in Cache County we use it as a means of identifying personnel who can respond to wildland fires on government owned land, to work with Federal and State fire suppression personnel on those fires.

To complete the test you must carry a 45 pound pack around for three miles and complete the distance in less than 45 minutes.  Let me just say this: If you think the pack test is strenuous, actually spending a shift (12+ hours sometimes) on a mountain digging fire line, cutting down trees, etc., makes the pack test look like a walk in the park ....  So, the government sanctioned torture doesn't end with the pack test, the pack test is where the torture begins!

I am happy to say that I didn't give in to the torture attempt, I didn't let them win!  I made it with ample time to spare, but torture it was nonetheless, mainly because of that darn cold I mentioned above.

A person who exercises regularly, or prepares by starting to exercise a few weeks to a few months before taking the test can handle the test without difficulty.  I had been preparing and exceeded my goal by a little bit, I just wish I could have tried the test on a weekend when I wasn't starting to get sick, as will be related in the next paragraphs ...

I felt better that morning, not suffering as much from the cold symptoms I had dealt with the day before.  After the test I went home and finished a full day of fire department and personal work projects, then settled in for the night.

After I had sat down for about 1/2 hour, I was hit with the realization that I was sliding backwards into a pit of suffering - also known as the common cold.

From that point on I pretty much became a vegetable on the couch unless I absolutely had to move.

Now it is Monday and being the loyal employee that I am (ehe), I got up and made it to work at my usual time, and pray that the cold remedies will help me get through the day.

I hate colds.

All said and done, I don't mind the pack test that much.  I didn't get sore from the exertion, just suffered afterwards this time because of the cold I was starting with.

I do enjoy the initial attack of a wildland fire - where the bombers are coming in, dropping retardant all around you; firefighters are coming from several stations to setup operations, etc. - that's quite a rush.

The extended work of a wildland fire is monotonous and strenuous.  I don't like that as much, but it's part of the job and since I will be wildland red-card re-certified I better get used to the fact that I will likely end up in the hills with a shovel or other tool, before this summer is done.

0 comments: