More fun With HDR Post Processing

I am not anywhere near a pro at using the Photomatix software for HDR.  In fact, I am still using the evaluation version – although I am quickly becoming hooked on what it can do.

I realize that a natural, raw image from the camera can be a thing of beauty.  I try time and time again to capture that just-right photo.  I often succeed, but sometimes I just can’t make it work.

For post processing, I usually go with Photoshop Elements 2.0. I have learned a few tricks to salvage my less-than-perfect photos. I think I like that software and what it can do, and am glad I have it. But if I find the right scene and use my camera to take the exposures necessary, HDR appears to  be a very nice way to make a photo into something special.

This photo was taken on a nice June day a couple of years ago. It is what prompted me to submit my first story to the Cache Valley citizen journalism site, and it was published in the local newspaper. I used a preset in the HDR software to create this image from a raw photo. This tractor is from the very early 1900’s. It’s used a rein steering mechanism, maybe to help the transition from horses to mechanized equipment easier.

Code30019

Pretty neat effect, if I do say so myself, almost looks like a painting.  Click on the photo for a larger image to see the detail better.  My apologies for the watermark, I believe that is present because it is only the evaluation version.

Here is another photo of a different tractor owned by the elderly gentleman next door. He only works the small fields around his home these days, but that is still a giant feat, considering he’s 95 this year, I think. This is his Farmall tractor circa the 1930’s, with a hay rake, standing by to arrange the hay in his fields when it has dried just the right amount. This photo was not processed quite as much as the previous post, but it still has that art-work feel.

Code30020

The third photo takes us back even farther in time, well, not really, because it was taken in 2008 as well. There is a family in our community who uses their horses to do as much of the farm work as possible, including hauling hay. My daughter was able to take the reins for a moment and drive the team toward the hay barn under the watchful eye of the farmer. I used the heavy HDR processing pre-set for this photo.

Code30021

I think I will start saving up for the licensed version of this software, and see what else I can do with photos to make them come to life. I have a camera that can take the photos as prescribed, but of course I still have that dream of a really nice digital SLR to use to improve my ability to take the photos I long to take.

0 comments: