The Broker, by John Grisham

I have finished my second reading of THE BROKER by John Grisham.

I really enjoy Grisham’s ability to tell a story.  It had been quite awhile since my first reading of this novel, and I found the experience was as enjoyable as reading it the first time.

I continue reading Grisham’s work because he can weave a story that pulls me in.  I am often at odds with the choices the characters make and the overall outcome – the bad choice and minimal accountability scenario – of some of his stories.  I can usually overlook that because I don’t feel that the purpose of the story is to promote the lifestyle that produces such choices and outcomes.

“Marco” if that is his real name … with potential for danger looming closer and closer, thrust into a situation he can not control, wins me to his cause because of the vulnerability he feels.  His resourcefulness in a difficult situation is also laudable.  I also enjoyed sampling another culture through the pages of this book.

I was so interested in the day-to-day events of the story that I was seldom anxious to discover the mystery that had started it all in the first place.  When it was time to reveal the key pieces of the puzzle it was done quickly and appropriately, not belaboring the point.

I will definitely put this back on the list of re-reads, and expect to enjoy it even more the third time.

0 comments: