Smokey

Today we had a scare.  A really big scare. 

We needed to go to Tremonton to work on a school project for Justin.  He had been invited to a friends house, so we were to leave around 3:00 after picking him up there.  We had everything needed with us and we retrieved the boy and worked our way out of town.

About 1 block from home we came across a cat that had been hit crossing the road.  It was dead, and that is sad enough, but it was remarkably similar in appearance to our cat, Smokey.  We stopped, I got out to investigate.  I nudged the poor cat’s body off of the road and examined it.  I just wasn’t sure, but it had some features that made me think it was our cat.

We went home and looked around for Smokey.  We couldn’t stay long because Janet’s dad was waiting for us to help us with Justin’s project.  In the short amount of time available, we were not able to find Smokey.

We had to leave.  The trip to Tremonton and back was very sad.  Krystal just loves Smokey so much and I think Justin does too, he just doesn’t admit it.  I wasn’t sold on him at first, but I’m a softy and I too was feeling a pit in my stomach at the possibility he was gone.

There was a sliver of hope, but we were all upset about seeing an almost perfect match of Smokey, expired on the road.  We had an opportunity to talk to Justin and Krystal about losing something you love.  We finished the project and headed home.  Justin and I were going to feed the cows and Janet and Krystal were to leave for errands in Logan.

While we were out feeding Justin came to me and said, “I just heard a meow from under the tarp”  I was quite surprised by that, and with the breeze causing the tarp to rustle, I wasn’t sure if he was hearing correctly.  I went over to investigate and there was Smokey, next to the haystack under the tarp!

We had a very happy reunion and Justin ran to the house to tell Krystal before they left for Logan.  We are sad for the loss of the other cat who may have been someone’s pet.  We felt like we had lost something important to us and we feel bad if someone else has lost their cat.  We are so glad Smokey is okay, and hope that he is okay for a long time to come.

DSCF7129

0 comments: